Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another JoAnn Haul

So I may have gotten myself into a bit of trouble, but when one of my favorite stores has a big sale, it's hard to ignore. One of the biggest draws for the sale, for me at least was that thread was 50% off. So I decided to expand my thread collection. Ever since I got my new sewing machine I have only really had basic black and white. I have other colors for hand sewing projects, but nothing that could fit my machine. I tried to aim for something from each color choice, in a shade I figured I would use more, so instead of getting hot pink I got soft pink, etc...*side note all of the thread is Coats & Clark*
From left to right I got: Light Slate, Pink, Atom Red, Ultra-Violet, True Blue, Icy Blue and Caspian Sea.
Same as before: Ming Teal, Kiwi, Leprechaun, Hunter Green, Yellow, Pumpkin, Beige, and Espresso.

If you are first starting on a thread collection my suggestion is to aim for the colors that you are going to use the most. For me that is blues and greens. Basic black and white is also the best to have as they have the most utility. If you want to aim for other colors try to think what you might make in that color, if you find yourself buying darker purples than it wouldn't make sense to buy a pale purple thread. Of course, you can always buy specific colors for specific projects. This is just my opinion, as always do what works the best for you.
 I also got a couple of patterns. Two pajama patterns, which I figured I could get some utility out of these. I was thinking about using these for pjs as well as dress, pants and shirt patterns. With a couple of variations to the pattern, I could make whole outfits out of just these pajama patterns.

 

This purse pattern seem, to me, to have the biggest range and utility. I wanted something that I could use to make numerous different bags in just one pattern pack. The Victorian one is one for me and my cousin-in-law. I am thinking about making a dress similar to this and he has been dying to figure out how to make the cowl, so it works for both of us. Plus my family is big fans of the Renaissance Festival and this could come in handy for then.
 I also picked up this magazine while I was waiting in line for the cloth cutting. I has a few interesting ideas, with handbags and a dress pattern I want to try out. Also it has a cool zipper flower tutorial I am gonna try out.
Some of the cloth I got was for my cousin's birthday. He loves music and cosmic patterns, so I picked him up a yard of each. Here's hoping he can think of something good to do with them.
I also got a sheer overlay for a dress I am working on for this halloween, I couldn't say no considering it was 50% off and I need it. The Basketballs are for my brother for some pj pants I will be making him for his birthday.
While I was out I found out Hobby Lobby was having a big sale on their ribbon so I ran over and got some stuff from them as well. I got this really cool black cording with silver beads in it, I though it would make a really cool necklace or even earrings. The white cording is for a costume project for my husband for later in the year. The other one up there is a blue and black ribbon that almost looks like stuff for a garter, but I was thinking a nice choker.
The other two I got are straight up ribbon. The one is really cool duo color blue and green-almost yellow. Haven't figured out what I am gonna do with it yet but I can't wait. The other is a really fun double sided lime green and purple, my baby sisters two favorite colors. You'll probably see this later pop up in something I made for her.

Overall I didn't spend as much as I thought I would so that is a plus side. Most of the stuff I got can be used for more that one purpose so that is another plus. Can't wait to see what comes out of this haul.

No comments:

Post a Comment