Monday, February 7, 2011

DIY Skin Care

Three of the main things that almost any person hates about their face is:
1. Acne
2. Pore size
3. Oil or grease
These things haunt the nightmares of teens and curse the faces of adults, causing awkwardness and low self esteem. I know this because I was and still am cursed with these ailments. To cure these issues most people will spend years and tons of money trying loads of different products that will either never work or will work for for a few weeks/months before your skin builds a resistance to it. I know the frustration all to well, not only for myself but for my siblings and husband who all have these problems in varying degrees.
One thing I have noticed is that home remedy style skin care products seem to work for the widest range of skin types. They also tend to be cheaper than even a store brand version. Also if they don't work for you they can always be used for their intended purpose, so you eliminate waste from unused products. Two things I have been using as of late are a Witch Hazel & Aspirin Toner/Exfoliant and Milk of Magnesia for oil control. Both are very easy and cheap to make and use.
First up is the Witch Hazel/ Aspirin toner/exfoliant. This is a great way to cleanse your skin as well as remove dry skin. The witch hazel is a natural astringent so it helps to reduce acne and pore size. The aspirin works as the exfoliant, removing dead skin. It also reduces inflammation and redness from pimples, as well as reducing pore size. Together it makes for an amazing double punch to most of your daily facial issues. To make it all you need is a small container to mix it in and hold it, I got a 4 oz. bottle from the travel section. A bottle of Witch hazel and uncoated Aspirin, both available at most every store with a medicine section. Uncoated Aspirin dissolves faster and is easier to use for this, you can tell if it is uncoated if it doesn't say it's coated.
Bottle is close to empty, need to mix some more up!
 To make this mix it is super easy. Pour your witch hazel into the travel bottle and then drop in the amount of aspirin you desire and shake until mixed. Note: the mixture will separate and will need to be mixed before each use. All measurements are for my 4oz. bottle, you may have to scale it for you container. For a softer toner with just a little bit of exfoliant only add between 5 and 8 aspirin. For a stronger exfoliant add between 10 and 15 aspirin. You may want to make two batches one for daily use and one for weekly use. You may want to play with these numbers to find your perfect blend, remember no one face is alike. For the bottle, witch hazel and aspirin I spent about $5 and I can make about 4-5 batches will this size witch hazel bottle. Pretty awesome price for how well it works. To use shake and apply with a cotton ball all over the face (minus the eye area) in circular motions. You will have small pieces of aspirin on your face, I use a large makeup brush to gently brush off the pieces.

Next up is the Milk of Magnesia oil controller. This requires no mixing or blending, and can be used right from the bottle. I put it into another travel bottle for easier application and storage. This put me back a whole $5 again for both bottles, and this one will last forever, because you use such a small amount. This is an amazing oil controller, and works on par with the more expensive brands that can cost upwards of $30 or more. This can be used as a daily mattifier or as a mask. Be forewarned that if you have dry skin this will dry it out worse and you will have to use a lotion over it, and possibly not use it as often. To use as a daily treatment, apply with a cotton ball to the oily parts of your face in a thin coat, let dry and apply your makeup or lotion if desired and go on with your day. I normally find myself getting greasy after only a few hours without this, with it I can almost make it through my 8 hour school day with little to no grease. For a nightly spot treatment of trouble spots use a q-tip and apply a generous amount on the problem area and leave over night. Doing your normal skin routine in the morning. For a mask, I wouldn't do it more that weekly, use a cotton ball and apply a thick coating all over your face (minus eye area) and let sit until dry and wash off. Side note: you will look like a ghost or drug addict, lol, because if applied thick enough it drys flaky and white.
My normal face routine usually involves 1) wash face 2) apply toner 3)apply milk of magnesia 4) apply my face lotion 5) do makeup and I am ready to go. I hope this helps anyone trying to find cheaper or better face products. I have been hearing about using apple cider vinegar as a toner but I haven't tried it yet, so once I do I'll let you know what I think.
*Most of what I use I found on Youtube from my favorite Beauty Gurus.*

No comments:

Post a Comment